Friday, 20 June 2014

Whim 17: Ring-binder Pencil Case




This is a project I made for a friend Vicki's birthday - I saw the gorgeous robot fabric and knew I had to make something from it! Vicki is training to be a teacher and so has lots of paper, pens, binders etc to cart around, so I thought she might find this useful. It ties into the rings on the binder, so you always have stationary available when you need it. 

I used a PVC fabric (advertised to protect table tops from damage) for the clear window on the front (under the zip) and the robots on the back.  The PVC is incredibly hard to work with and i'm blaming that for my wonky bias binding! 



Sew Sociable competition - Polo Shirt recycle.


My entry for a competition at Sew Sociable last night. The challenge was to create a new piece of women's clothing using old polo shirts. I used two different shirts to make it using a blouse pattern I had made in my recent pattern cutting class and adding the sailor collar. I used the collar from the blue shirt as one layer of the sailor collar and added a ribbon trim, anchor embroidery and the original shirt sleeves.  You can see more entries and information here.

Sunday, 8 June 2014

Whim 16: Fifties style collared blouse


Another product of my pattern making class - I have added sleeves and a collar to the princess seam top from my last post. I used the collar from this vintage dress

 as a template and then added a slightly puffed sleeve with a turn up on the hem. It fits wonderfully (wish I had a good photo!) and I love it! The fabric is another amazing charity shop find (£3 for about 3 meters!).

Thursday, 5 June 2014

Whim 15: Sleeveless Blouse



I am currently taking a pattern cutting course at Ruth Singer Studio learning how to make and alter bodice patterns. I am having a fantastic time learning these new skills and it has made me feel unstoppable!

Here are two sleeveless blouses I have created to practice all of the new skills I am learning. The top one is from the basic block (loose fit) and it made out of a vintage duvet cover. The bottom one is made using floral fabric I found in charity shop and the lace insert from an old Laura Ashley shirt. Both have bound edges (have been further practicing my binding skills!)