Monday, 11 August 2014

Whim 21: Sixties Floral Applique



I am still working on this months Sew Sociable challenge  (to use applique to create a floral sampler). I have decided to base this on some gorgeous sixties inspired floral prints (see my pinterest board for more images) which lend themselves to applique because of the limited colour palettes. I have already created one using reverse applique but I was inspired to create one using this simpler (but more time consuming!) method of hand sewing.
The pattern was inspired by this amazing piece of vintage fabric: 

A close up of my design: Beautiful coloured felts 


Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Whim 20 continued: Reverse Applique Floral


I have completed the first try of my reverse applique floral challenge! I took a slightly different approach on this from my trial piece - deciding at the last minute to use the sewing machine rather than hand sew the edges. This gives the piece a different look - the shapes had to be simplified and white borders added around them, but It looks and feels pretty professional up close (despite a few wobbles that are apparent in the photo!) 
I have take photos throughout the process and will be adding a tutorial when I have made this into a cushion cover.  I am also going to try at least one more version which will be hand-sewn as per my original plans!
My favourite parts are the embroidered details which I think I will add more to any new versions. 


Old Project 3: Morocco

Today some work from the archives which are from an unfinished project: a fabric journal inspired by Morocco. I did a lot of research and trials for this journal but never quite got around to completing it. Here are two pages of patchwork and embroidery that did at least get done!




Sunday, 3 August 2014

Whim 20: Reverse Applique Floral


This week I am working on this months Sew Sociable challenge  (to use applique to create a floral sampler). I have decided to base this on some gorgeous sixties inspired floral prints (see my pinterest board for more images) which lend themselves to applique because of the limited colour palettes. I am using reverse applique because I love it and I think it looks a lot like overlayed screen printing because you can see bits of other colours poking out underneath.
My first task was to sort through all of my pinterest board for the right image, and chose this one by Noboriya:


Then I tried to recreate part of it as best I could using small squares of felt (about 16cm). Plus adding some decorative stitching using black thread.
I like parts of how it has come out, but I don't like the colour combination (even though they look so good in the print) and I need to simplify it a bit to make it work on my final piece. Below  is a sketch for the real thing with these amendments:
Keep posted to see how it goes!