Sunday, 22 February 2015

Whim 23: Gertie's Dirndl Skirt

 I am newly obsessed with this lovely book:  Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing  as well as the blog it comes from. I am planing to make all of the patterns in it as they are all gorgeous.  First off though I followed the instructions to make a simple dirndl skirt using a lovely red and gold sari I found in a charity shop.


A sari is a fantastic thing to make this out of as you need such a long piece of fabric to gather into the waistband. This sari had two different patterned edges - I used the smaller of the two borders as the bottom of the skirt (no hemming!). The silk is crisp and light which makes the skirt stick out in the fifties style (although worn here with a knee-length full petticoat - which helps too!)






No comments:

Post a Comment